WELCOME TO HIP SLOPE MAMA

A Blogazine, based out of Park Slope, Brooklyn, that features fun and interesting articles. Topics include: parenting, society, real estate, career, style, spirituality and more. Written contributions are always welcome!


Sunday, September 28, 2008

Never Ask "Are You Pregnant?"



By Jennifer Brilliant


After all my years as a fitness instructor, yoga teacher and modern dancer, I never really worried too much about my belly's shape or size. But recently a friend who had just received a picture of me emailed a reply to congratulate me on being pregnant. Oops!

I had decided to treat myself for a special event to a new outfit. Cute and flouncy as it was, it was a bit snug in the middle. I was surprised to see how my belly protruded a bit in the photos from that day. I did indeed look a little swollen in the belly. Still, it was a festive day so I sent photos to a number of family and friends. One friend that I have not seen in a long time e mailed me back after receiving the photo to say how happy she was for me that I was pregnant again. When I e mailed back to tell her I wasn't pregnant, she felt terrible. "I am ssoooo sorry. Please don't take it as a critique - you look wonderful."


This reminded me of a few important golden rules:
    1) When being photographed, always inhale (lifts your chest) and suck in.
    2) And never ask, "Are you pregnant?

    Jennifer Brilliant and her husband Jeff in incriminating picture.


    Jennifer Brilliant is a Park Slope mother and the owner of the Jennifer Brilliant Yoga and Personal Training Studio in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Jennifer has nearly 20 years of experience guiding people in athletic, therapeutic and creative movement. She is a regular contributor for Hip Slope Mama. For more about Jennifer Brilliant and the classes she offers visit JenniferBrilliant.com