WELCOME TO HIP SLOPE MAMA

A Blogazine, based out of Park Slope, Brooklyn, that features fun and interesting articles. Topics include: parenting, society, real estate, career, style, spirituality and more. Written contributions are always welcome!


Sunday, August 17, 2008

Nanny 4-1-1


I never understand women who take their kids out for a stroll while their nannies walk along silently beside them. Is the nanny a bodyguard? Was she hired for her martial arts skills? Is there often a case where women pushing strollers are held up, and in order to escape, they need nannies to create a diversion?


As a non-caretaker-hiring non-mom, I have to quiet the cynic in my head that thinks the employee is there simply to carry shopping bags. I know so little of the subject because I was raised by a single mother. My babysitter was Ricki Lake, and my punishment for misbehaving was reruns. When I see five year-olds in strollers whose feet drag along the sidewalk I can’t help but think, “They should be walking to the post office. And while they’re there, they should apply for a job.”


It was only after living in a neighborhood of two-income families whose parents burn the candle at both ends that I saw how essential it is to have someone dependable take care of your children. For daylong shifts, more is needed than the hour-by-hour pseudo-vigilance of a babysitter. After all, the very term was coined when it became common knowledge that a teenager’s instincts are to quiet a tantrum by sitting on a flailing, red-faced child (more on the downside of teen motherhood in another post). There is also a special bond that children develop with their nannies. The loving look of a contented toddler is often matched by a pert, maternal smile. The kind of pensive beam that says, “It’s a good thing you’re not my child or you would know what a rubber spatula feels like.”


Childcare is one of the most selfless jobs in the world. It ranks right up there with speechwriting for the President of the United States or Mariah Carey’s personal assistant. Seeking such aid is the mark of a responsible parent. Recognizing the value of this role, and its importance to a functioning society, I posted on my blog that nannies aren’t modern-day servants with little professional ambition. Imagine my surprise when I never heard back about the interview.



A comedy virtuoso, Abbi Crutchfield keeps her plate full in New York city with writing, performing stand-up, improvisational comedy, creating sketches, starring and directing in short films and producing a live comedy hour show in Park Slope called The Living Room. She is also a regular contributor to Hip Slope Mama.

To find out more about how Abbi and her fiance met and got engaged visit their wedding site on theknot.com For a daily laugh, read her Curly Comedy blog.